At Booya Gadget, we love the open-source Handbrake Video Converter/transcoding tool. Since we are very heavy at YouTube, we do a lot of video work to make our media available to our viewers in multiple formats. We have many uses for Handbrake at Booya Gadget, but my main use is converting to video podcast for our iTunes Podcast. Booya TRJ uses Handbrake to stream Movies to his Android and PSP using TVersity.
I’ve worked with many paid and free video conversion tools, and Handbrake ( along with dvdfab ) is one of Booya’s favorites… This Free tool is absolutely worthy of your time if it can fit your personal requirements. If you fall in love, you may even consider a donation. Looking at this list of updates, I assure many hours were spent by the contributing devs..
Here are the Release Notes of 0.9.5 Handbrake. Note that the devs make it clear that they want you to upgrade, and this upgrade is worth it. Check out the features for yourself and try ’em out…
Best place to learn more about this release and the Handbrake Project in general… great info.
Handbrake Support Forum *recommended visit*
* BluRay disc structure support. (No decryption support)
* Updated Libraries (x264, ffmpeg)
* SSA Subtitle support. (Including burn-in)
* MP3 audio now supported in MP4 files (Note: Limited Player compatibility)
* VOBSUB subtitle now supported in MP4 files (Note: Limited Player compatibility)
* Updated Presets for newer devices and better quality
* AC3 encoding support.
* Many Bug Fixes and other small improvements
* Improved DVD Main Feature detection (when using dvdnav)
* Universal audio downmix support (all audio types can be downmixed)
* Point*to*Point encoding (second or frame start and end times)
* Peak framerate option (Capped VFR)
* Updated x264 Advanced Panel
* Video Quality Slider drops % value and only shows RF for x264
* Batch Scan (Scan Multiple files at once. N.B: Does not include multiple VIDEO_TS folders / Image files)
* Many Bug fixes
* Many Tweaks to improve usability.
* Ability to edit queue jobs
* New Audio Panel supporting >4 Audio Tracks
* VLC detection in /Applications and ~/Applications
* Multiple instance support
* Encode Status in GUI. (CLI window is now always hidden)
* Improved Auto-Naming for Destination file name.
* Drag / Drop Video onto Main Window to scan.
* Multiple instance support (run multiple copies of ghb at once)
* Many Bug fixes and UI improvements.
* Power PC (PPC) is no longer officially supported. Given limited resources and time, it simply isn’t feasible for this project to support minority platforms. For those of you still using older hardware, we recommend you stick with 0.9.4.
Handbrake is a great open source product.. Booya!
About the Author: I'm am a multi-platform tech enthusiast with Droid, Windows, and Mac / iOS, and some Linux and Raspberry Pi etc.. Published a few windows phone apps, and android apps. I love tech and gadgets. Professionally I typically work in I.T. as a SQL developer.