Welcome to the FIFA Defensive Player Bible Part 2 of 5! The focus of part 2 is Scoring, Accomplishments, Man of the Match, and General Defensive Tips. Read and study this bible, ask me some questions and you WILL become a better defensive CB or CDM. This guide is mainly for those that play Club and Pro Ranked Match where you control just 1 CB or CDM player(basically pickup Soccer-Futbol). Defense is very challenging, and while I wrote this bible I have bad games too.
GENERAL DEFENSIVE PLAYER TIPS
- Join an active Club team and use the team’s txt chat rooms. Club play is the pinnacle of FIFA, that is where the best players are. Consider it MLB vs the Minors. If you think you’re hot shiz because you won the single-player season mode then great. But single player is nothing like Club Play. Build skills and VP as a single player but if you want some REAL FIFA, then play Club ! Zero debate here.
- EDIT your player for the position you are playing. Nothing I hate worse than seeing a striker profile playing CB. They MUST be changed before you play.
- Relax hands on the controller.. Sometimes I feel myself about to crush my controller into a diamond. Just relax, you will play better and make softer passes. Don’t play tense. When you learn to play defense and identify scoring threats the game will come easier to you, and your back won’t hurt from tension after games.
- While learning, just use the basics of the bible and Don’t HURT the team… less guys will hate you.
- When in doubt, kick the friggin ball out of bounds or back to the Keeper. It’s not always sexy, but NOT giving up goals is your focus, remember ?
- Practice, Practice and then Practice more on Pro Ranked Match! Club vs PRM Big Difference Most of the time, but PRM is wonderful practice FOR DEFENDERS! A good club will make you a snob because PRM is ball-hog-central. You can do your own thing as a defender in PRM, I guarantee you will have opportunities to build your defensive skills every game. This is how I learned how to defend humans before I became serious with club play. When you play a ton of PRM, you will also start to recognize other players, this is helpful during club play when you start to recognize dangerous opponents because you’ve played against(or with) them so much in Pro Ranked Matches.
- Set the tone for your team. Follow the Defensive Players Bible, play your position and execute immediately. This will boost your team’s faith in you so they will play their position too.
- NEVER QUIT. If you’re down 3-0 early don’t stop trying, stop the offense! Don’t give up and start playing offense in the middle of the game. Giving up ruins the game for everybody, I hate that, so don’t do it.
- Respect, but ignore the offsides trap if your captain calls it. It is difficult for humans to follow, but it does work for a 100% computer controlled defense. I am NOT a fan of the offsides trap.
- Setup your Virtual Pro’s height, weight and traits per the bible part 1. No Debate.
DEFENSIVE VP SKILL RATING & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
MAN OF THE MATCH
In my experience, I do believe it is (arguably) easier to get MOTM as an offensive player, but it is still very achievable as a defensive player. I think it’s extra special when a defender is MOTM and it will often occur when a Clean-Sheet / shutout happens. With a high VP(85+) and being MOTM as a CB/CDM during a Pro Ranked Match, that’s also a great way to get invited to a Club. That’s how I started Club Play, and I learned a ton from my first club. Typically when I get MOTM as a defender, I made 10-15 successful passes(ground and headers), gave up zero goals, and played my position correctly. It can be as simple as that when all goes well.
The Keys to being MOTM as a defender:
- Get Opportunities. Some games your team may dominate so much that you just don’t get a chance to produce. Just get the win, and play again. I’ve probably played over 400 Fifa matches as a defender.
- When you get opportunities, PRODUCE ! Make successful passes, stay in position ( indicated by the markers on your feet ), and give up zero goals. You also get punished sometimes if your own GK even touches the ball. These rules are the same for the offense. In a 1-0 game it’s likely a defender or the goal scorer that will be MOTM.
- Stay in position. When you have position markers on and you get 3 marks below your feet, you are out of position and your match rating will begin to drop immediately. However, NEVER sacrifice a team win for your own VP rating. ( Unless you are working on skills in Pro-Ranked Match, but even then you will anger your teammates )
- There are no “super tricks” to being defensive MOTM especially in club and PRM, but 1 thing you can do is give yourself an increase in successful passes by calling for the ball from the CPU and quickly passing it back. But make sure it’s safe to do so, and it may actually open up angles for your offense as well.
- Read the entire Fifa Defensive Players Bible parts 1-5 and ask questions.
CB DEFENSIVE SCORING
CDM DEFENSIVE SCORING
- LISTEN TO THE AUDIO PODCAST OF THE DEFENSIVE BIBLE PART 2 HERE. Listen to me get all fired up.
- Another Easy and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED tip: Customize FIFA with your OWN music library. I love this, and it’s easy.
AVAILABLE NOW AND COMING SOON FIFA DEFENSIVE PLAYERS BIBLE PARTS 1-5
- FIFA 12 Defensive Player Bible Part 1: Traits, Height, and Weight
- FIFA 12 Defensive Player Bible Part 2: Scoring, Accomplishments, General Defensive Tips
- FIFA 12 Defensive Player Bible Part 3: Passing Tips and Strategy
- FIFA 12 Defensive Player Bible Part 4: Positioning ( The largest and most important bible chapter )
- FIFA 12 Defensive Player Bible Part 5: RECOGNIZE AND STOP THE TOP SCORING THREATS. ( Very Very Important, the easiest way to stop your lame-arse opponents!!! )
About the Author: I'm am a multi-platform tech enthusiast with Droid, Windows, and Mac / iOS, and some Linux and Raspberry Pi etc.. Published a few windows phone apps, and android apps. I love tech and gadgets. Professionally I typically work in I.T. as a SQL developer.